6 Nov 2012

Celebrity style: Janelle Monae

Have you ever wondered why Janelle Monae is always dressed in black and white like a waitress or a maid? You may even have thought that her style is annoying, been there, done that, why don't you try something new for a change?




The American singer explained the reasons behind her fashion statement at the  in her acceptance speech for the“Young, Black and Gifted” award at the Black Girls Rock, Inc. awards ceremony on Sunday 4 November. Her style is a statement, a way for her to always remember her background and honor her family's: 

"When I started my music career, I was a maid. I used to clean houses. My mother was a proud janitor. My stepfather, who raised me like his very own, worked at the post office and my father was a trashman.  They all wore uniforms and that’s why I stand here today, in my black and white, and I wear my uniform to honor them.
This is a reminder that I have work to do. I have people to uplift. I have people to inspire. And today, I wear my uniform proudly as a Cover Girl. I want to be clear, young girls, I didn’t have to change who I was to become a Cover Girl. I didn’t have to become perfect because I’ve learned throughout my journey that perfection is the enemy of greatness.”




The Black Girls Rock, Inc. awards took place on in the Bronx, New York. The ceremony, hosted by Tracee Ellis Ross and Regina King, is to honor the achievements of women of color who are rising stars and veteran trendsetters in entertainment, culture and more.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...