4 Sept 2009

Inside Fashion Week with Eunice Olumide



To celebrate the beginning of fashion week next Thursday in New York, AFROMAG interviewed rising model Eunice Olumide, 22, from Edinburgh, Scotland. Eunice appeared in Vogue magazine and in an advertising campaign for Top Shop. As a regular fashion week participant, she gives us an insider view on the hectic days coming ahead. She also gives her talks about being a black model in today's fashion industry.

What's your classic week like?

Leading up to Fashion Week, I will have anything between six and twelve castings a day. I can also do an editorial or so a week and perhaps some catalogues. I will travel in at least four major cities in the world.

What campaign are you the most proud of?

I am particularly proud of the Top Shop campaign.

Do you work besides modelling?

Yes, on top of being a model, I do Public Relations.

What direction would you like to give to your career?

I would eventually like to become a lecturer when I am older and get involved in charitable work. But I am really happy with my career as it is today and would like to thank God and my wee mummy for helping me get this far.

Is it hard to be a black model? Do you feel that the industry is prejudiced?

Yes it is hard to be black model. In my opinion, it is not only due to a lack of understanding but also to economic factors. It is not necessarily black people who buy the clothes I present. But although chances are a lot rarer for black models, you will always shine if you are very good at the job.

What would you advise to those who want to start a career in modelling?

It is extremely had work, full time and you must work hard. Exercise is a necessity. It is also important to drink plenty of water. Most importantly, one must be realistic and bear in mind that there are many types of modelling so you may have a more commercial of lifestyle look than the specific high fashion look.

Who's the most inspiring black woman for you?

My favourite black female would be a combination of Rosa Parks and Lauryn Hill!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...